Meadowbrook Bird Sanctuary

Our Mission: To establish and maintain a neighborhood project at Revelation Road, Meadowbrook Road and Washington Lane whose purpose is to beautify and preserve the open space with trees, benches, bird houses and walking paths, as well as to educate through the use of identified native plantings.

Dear Neighbors: The Meadowbrook Bird Sanctuary was formed by concerned neighbors who wanted to restore the area to its natural state prior to the Township Sewer Project of 2001 - 2002.


Implementing A Plan: With the help of Rydal-Meadowbrook Civic Association, Abington Township Environmental Advisory Council and Abington Township, the property has evolved into a beautiful sanctuary that preserves this precious open space. Landscape architects volunteered to design a plan that would transform the area into a bird habitat with installation of an irrigation and water retention system, along with paths, feeders and plantings.

Progress to Date: Volunteers then planted over 30 trees, numerous flower beds and smaller plantings, strategically placed bird houses and benches for visitors to sit and enjoy this wonderful setting. Our efforts have been rewarded by receiving the prestigious Pennsylvania Horticultural Society 2003 Suburban Greening Award and the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society 2004 Maintenance Award.We also received the Audubon Society Award in 2008, the Abington Township 2010 Robert Montgomery Award and the Pennsylvania House of Representatives Citation in Recognition of Preserving Open Space 2010. BUT OUR MISSION IS NOT COMPLETE! We need help to maintain with financial and physical participation by interested and concerned neighbors

A Labor of Love

Friday, July 30, 2010

July 2010


So many GOOD things have happened to MBS in the last few months that it’s hard to know where to start.

Remember in June we received a citation from the House of Representatives of The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and now Tom Conway,Abington Township Manager,has sent us a letter saying we are the recipients of the 2010 Robert Montgomery Award for our outstanding contribution in conserving,protecting and restoring our community’s natural environment. This is a very prestigious award and we feel quite honored to have MBS Board of Directors names added to the award plaque that hangs in the lobby of the Township Building


Jessica’s “Point of View” column has been swamped with letters from the 3rd grade students at Meadowbrook School. They are all about what special plans they have for Summer vacation.


Sounds like camp is popular,especially Science Camp,swimming at the shore and, camping in the Poconos, along with travel and just having fun at home. Hats off to Meadowbrook School for making the school year so interesting that a few students are sad to see it come to an end.

Kelsey: I can’t wait for summer because of our vacations planned. I’m going to San Diego for a week,Hershey Park,camping and playing with friends

Andrew: I can’t wait for school to end because I’m going to camp with my friend Jack. Then I will go to Margate with my family.

Tommy: I am very excited for summer because I’m going to baseball camp for two weeks. Also my family and I are going to Disney World and the Poconos. It will be fun.

Jeremy: Yes, I am ready for summer because I’m looking forward to going to Ocean City. It’s going to be fun on the beach. Also, I’m growing a large garden in my backyard and the fresh vegetables are so good!

Joe: This summer is going to be fun because I am going to Science Camp. Then my family and I are going to Ocean City, Maryland and I like to go to the beach. I am going to Maine this summer too. I like to go water skiing.

Gracie: I’m kind of sad that school is ending because it is fun every day! This summer I am going to Performing Arts Camp. I like it because you get to be in plays

Dylan: I like summer because I’m going to the pool with my friend and play baseball.

Ethan: I am ready for the end of school because during the summer I am playing on a Baseball Tourament Team. Also I am going to two camps and they are mostly about sports,that is why I like them!

Jack: I am excited to go to Science Camp this summer. Then I am going to another camp and to Margate with my family.

Luke: I love summer because I will go to the Shore at Avalon. I like to go to the beach and go swimming.

Kristian: I wish we could go to school all summer. I don’t want it to end. I am very excited to go to Science Camp at Meadowbrook School. Also, I am going to the Abington YMCA camp.

Harlan: I am going to Science Camp at Meadowbrook School. Then I am going to another camp. Then my family and I are going to Colorado.

David: At the beginning of summer I am going to Science Camp and Art Camp at Meadowbrook School. Then my family and I are going to upstate New York and Ocean City,Maryland.

Lawson: This summer I’m going to camp in Maryland. I plan to play golf,tennis and swim on my swim team. It will be fun!


Thanks Kids for letting us know what turns you on when you are on vacation.

Don’t forget to come again and remember the birds enjoy watching you as much as you enjoy watching them.

Thank you for stopping by and don't forget, come again.

From all of us at MBS


No comments:

Post a Comment